Monday 21 September 2009

What a difference new tires can make

Some time ago I changed the rear tire myself, first having to weld a rear stand. Breaking the bead was another story. I bought a pair of Shinko tires, but didn't do the front so I drove for a long while with a bald front tire and it was like a square tire instead of round. Today I brought my bike in by a mechanic to change the front cause I don't have a front stand. Boy what a difference this makes to the bike! I had to drive carefully out of the driveway and on my way home. It is like a different bike, and each time a take a curve my head goes in a haze, not able to adapt with the change. My bike's frame was aligned (chassis alignment) by the good folks (Kent Soignier) at G.M.D. Computrack in Atlanta, Georgia and I think that only now I feel what the difference is. With the new tire on the bike it drives very different, a sensation not felt with the old tires (ever since I bought the bike, never changed the front tire). How can I explain this sensation? It's now more like think left and the bike goes left. The bike goes like in automatic steering. I have to get used to it, I am kinda scared right now, before I dared to lean on the side, with half my a$$ on the saddle, now there's no need for that. Really a great improvement. I'll keep you posted on the riding experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment